- Chopping Knife (cooks Knife or chef's Knife)This will have a broad, rigid blade between 15 and 30 cm long, and a 'heel'.This is probably the most useful knife and used for a variety of tasks including chopping,cutting,slicing of vegtetables,meat,poultry, fish and fruit, as well as tasks such as shredding of salads and vegetables.
- Paring Knife: a small, multi purpose knife used mainly for topping, tailing and trimming vegetables, and peeling fruits and vegetables.
- Filleting Knife: Is used for filleting fish. This knife often has a flexible blade, which allows you to move the knife easily around the bone structure and between the flesh and bone of the fish.
- Boning Knife: a short-bladed knife with a pointed end used for boning meat. The blade is strong and rigid (not flexible) in order to get close to the bones, cut away the meat and manoeuvre between bones safely
- Palette Knife: a flat knife with a blunt, rounded end blade. It is used for lifting and turning food, scraping and spreading.
- Turning Knife: a small curve-bladed knife used for shaping vegtetables in different ways.