Ingredients you will need
- 8 chicken thighs (with the bone is best-can use a mixture of thighs and drumsticks)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion-finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves-crushed
- 1 stick celery-finely chopped
- 130g pancetta or streaky bacon-finely chopped
- 125g button mushrooms-sliced (chestnut mushrooms are good to use)
- 100ml dry white wine
- 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- seasoned plain flour
- 1/4 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 1 bay leaf
Step 1-Heat half the oil in a sauté pan. Add the onion, garlic, and celery.
cook until the onion is golden.
Step 2-Add the pancetta or bacon and mushrooms, cook for a further 4-5 minutes. Spoon out into a bowl and leave to one side.
Step 3-Add the remaining olive oil to the pan, pass the thighs through seasoned flour and lightly brown a few at a time. Spoon off any excess fat and return all the pieces of chicken to the pan. Add the white wine, increase the heat and reduce.
Step 4- Add the tomatoes, sugar, dried oregano, rosemary and bay leaf. Bring to the boil then stir in the reserved pancetta mixture. Cover and leave to simmer for 20 minutes, or until the chicken is tender.
Step 5-Remove the sprig of rosemary and the bay leaf