Dietary fibre is a very important form of starch. Unlike other carbohydrates, dietary fibre cannot be digested and does not provide energy to the body.
However, dietary fibre is essential for a balanced diet because it:
- helps to remove waste and toxins from the body and maintain bowel action
- helps to control the digestion and processing of nutrients
- adds bulk to the diet , helping us to stop feeling hungry; it is used in many weight reduction foods.
Fibre is found in:
- fruits and vegetables
- wholemeal and granary bread
- wholegrain cereals
- wholemeal pasta
- wholegrain rice
- pulses (peas and beans) and lentils.