In this post ill be telling you how make some piccalilli hope you enjoy
- 450g/1lb each pickling onions, peeled, cauliflower florets and de-seeded cucumber and tailed French beans
- 340g rock salt
- 750ml white malt vinegar
- 1 tbsp English mustard powder,ground ginger and ground turmeric
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 175g of light muscovado sugar
- 2-3 tbsp cornflour
- some sterilised jam jars with screw tops- prepare jars by washing in hot water and leaving to drain by putting them upside down on a tea towel.
First put the vegetables into a non-metallic bowl,Then sprinkle the sugar over the top,toss together,Then cover and leave in a cool place for 12 hours.The next day put all of the vinegar into a large saucepan,Then add the spices and bring to the boil. Next you will drain the vegetables well under running water and wash them three times.
Then add the simmering vinegar and cook over a low heat for 20-25 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Next you will add the sugar and then simmer for another 1-2 minutes. Next mix 2 tbsp of cornflour with a little bit of water and blend into the hot vegetables. Then bring back to the boil then cook for another minute. Add the remaining cornflour if necessary
Lastly remove the piccalilli from the heat and leave to cool for 15 minutes.Then spoon the mixture into the hot jars, Then cover with the screw top lids and wipe the jars and then label. Then store in a dark place for 3-4 weeks before there ready to eat.